But what about kernel printfs?

00704a-Liber nevin1 at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Fri May 6 10:43:21 AEST 1988

In article <12360 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>Even if one argues that an implementation of the UNIX
>kernel is not portable to other machines it should be
>at least portable to other compilers for the same cpu.

Unfortunately, the implementation of the kernal (or is it kernel? :-)) is
not only CPU dependent but very machine-dependent.  I agree that an
implementation of the kernal should be written to avoid as many of these
dependencies as possible, but the dependencies on all of the supporting
hardware is still there.  For example: I would NOT expect A/UX to run on
any 680x0 machine except the Mac-II (and its' decendents).
--
 _ __			NEVIN J. LIBER	..!ihnp4!ihlpf!nevin1	(312) 510-6194
' )  )				"The secret compartment of my ring I fill