static functions broken in non-Unix compilers?

Richard Harter g-rh at cca.CCA.COM
Sat May 21 18:42:10 AEST 1988

In article <126 at pigs.UUCP> haugj at pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <120 at pigs.UUCP>, I write:
>] I have been informed that there is some trouble declaring functions to
>] be static in most of the non-Unix compilers.  I haven't seen this but
>] my informant swears the 9370 VM and VAX/VMS and MS-DOS C compilers all
>] gag on static func().
>]
>] Comments?  Send mail, if I get enough replies I'll summarize to the net.

Mail didn't get through.  Earlier versions of Primos C did not accept static
functions (Primos C is a little eccentric anyway.)  I don't know about current
version because we stripped out all static functions (portable is what actually
works, not what the standards, if any, say should work.)  No problem that I
know of in earlier VMS-VAX C.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.