trigraphs in X3J11

Alan Mimms alan at Apple.COM
Sat May 21 06:02:38 AEST 1988

Perhaps the best solution to the trigraph dilemma is to make available some
public-domain filters for converting from- and to- the trigraph notation.
This would permit those unfortunate enough to have strange character sets
to write C code and to port that code to a machine whose C compiler does
NOT support the trigraph notation and back again with minimal pain.

I BELIEVE I understand that the trigraph notation is a simple transformation
of the normal ASCII-based C notation.  Consequently, it should be quite
simple to convert in both directions.  The only problem might be in strings
in programs which produce C programs as their output -- in which case, the
filters come to the rescue by converting the program's output before it is
compiled.

Doesn't this make most of the flamers happy?

--
Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but