Bug in new K&R?

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Wed May 18 22:54:05 AEST 1988

In article <7890 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Whoopie do.  What are the alternatives?
>	1) stagnation at a functionally inadequate level
>	2) evolution by one individual's fiat (who?)
>	3) evolution by cooperating individuals (e.g. committee)
>	4) evolution by battling individuals
>Pick one.  I think I would be MORE nervous with the other alternatives.
	2a) evolution by a respected author's proposal and
	   committee vetting & acceptance (K&R II?)
	2b) evolution by a respected author's proposal and
	   independant, individual acceptance (K&R II?)
	4a) evolution into a different, translatable form
	   (specifically C++)
	5) replacement by an upwards-compatible low- or medium-level
	   language (C++ perhaps, but its a weak example)
	6) replacement in particular problem domains by VHLLs
	   (usually under the guise of 4GLs)

  In other words, the problem space is larger than the language...

--dave (I like 2a and 3) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers Ltd.,  | "His Majesty made you a major