Noalias trivia question

Wayne A. Throop throopw at xyzzy.UUCP
Fri May 6 06:53:02 AEST 1988

> gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn )
> we have now left the optimizers without a handle for
> performing the optimizations they sought in standard-conforming C.

Well, granted, no keyword handle, but I don't see why the optimizer
freeks can't use

        sometype *var;
        #pragma noalias *var
or
        #pragma noalias var

to do the same thing the keyword was for, but without everybody having
to worry about it until they had built up "existing practice" with the
idea.

--
Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.  Aren't you?
                        --- Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate"