trigraphs in X3J11

Aled Morris aledm at cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk
Mon May 30 22:10:43 AEST 1988

In article <10949 at apple.Apple.Com>, lenoil at Apple.COM (Robert Lenoil) writes:
> Instead of introducing a totally new notion
> (to C, anyway) of trigraphs, why not simply extend the backslash escape
> mechanism to be valid outside of strings?

I strongly agree with this proposal.  Trigraphs introduce a totally new
feature into the language, which is going to take some getting used to.
I can see some bugs creeping into my strings (and I bet they wont be in
the strings that get used very often, so they won't be easy to spot!)

Just one minor problem---isn't the backslash character one of the glyphs
missing from the Invarient Code Set?  Ah well....

Aled Morris

Janet/Arpa: aledm at uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa   |   School of Cognitive Science
      uucp: ..!mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!aledm   |   University of Sussex
      talk: +44-(0)273-606755  e2372   |   Falmer, Brighton, England
  "I'm living in the future/I feel wonderful/I'm tipping over backwards...
I'm so ambitious/I'm looking back/I'm running a race/and your the book i read"