Is &a[NTHINGS] legal (and the shim)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed May 4 01:10:46 AEST 1988

  -- --------- [emphasis just now added]

In article <4554 at ico.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Chris, is this really so?  I understand that &a[NTHINGS] should be valid,
>but I don't see why the shim is necessary.

It may not be.  Given your description of 80286 addressing, it is not
necessary there.  It might be required in others, particularly in other
segmented architectures.  I am not familiar enough with any others
(Burroughs, Honeywell, ...?) to say whether they would.