volatile (in comp.lang.c)

Eugene D. Brooks III brooks at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Sun May 1 02:07:45 AEST 1988

>In article <2642 at geac.UUCP> daveb at geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>|     It is interesting to note that there have not been, to date,
>| **any** other discussion of the necessity of "volatile" et all, only
>| of their desirability in a given language, taking their necessity as
>| **a given**.
Unfortunately, the ANSI C standard proposal did not give much attention to
multiprocessing issues, but the use of volatile in tightly coupled shared
memory programs is very important.  A shared memory variable is often
"cacheable" for a short period of time, and by this I include "cache in the
usual sense" and the use of registers as cache.  Volitile allows the user
to tell the compiler which references are not to be taken from cache, but
obviously needs further development in the context of multiprocessing.
Perhaps this will happen in the second "standards cycle" for C.  With all
the VLSI based multiprocessors hitting the market, good language support
for them will become very important.