no noalias not negligible (long)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun May 22 01:01:27 AEST 1988

In article <11608 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>Provide `#pragma's.  Some people claim that a pragma is not allowed to
>declare such semantics as volatility or lack of aliasing; I disagree.

Although you can find X3J11 committee members on both sides of this
debate, apparently all the editors of official documents are in
agreement that the proposed Standard does not permit (and certainly
is not intended to permit) #pragma to allow violation of any portion
of the rest of the Standard specifications.  Since the rest of the
proposed Standard requires honoring of aliasing, #pragma cannot be
used to change this.

I used to think otherwise but have been convinced of this.  I agree
that it is not obvious.