Reserved names in X3J11 (was Re: Appreciation for ANSI C committee)

Jerry Schwarz jss at hector.UUCP
Fri May 27 06:38:17 AEST 1988

In article <211 at proxftl.UUCP> bill at proxftl.UUCP writes:

>Specifically, if you define a function whose name matches a
>function name in one of the more esoteric libraries and you do
>not use something from the same library, all of the C compilers
>that I am familiar with will not give you grief.

Many begining C programmers have written something like

	void write(n) int n ; {
		printf("n=%d\n",n) ;
		}

In the past this has failed in almost all (maybe all) UNIX
implementations of C. ANSI has decreed that this function work.

Jerry Schwarz
Bell Labs, Murray Hill