?? in existing source code

VLD/VMB gwyn at BRL.ARPA
Fri May 27 05:18:34 AEST 1988

I previously stated that I didn't think trigraphs broke much existing
code.  This was challenged, with reference to UNIX source code (which
is AT&T's problem, and they bought into this).  I decided to search
my branch's existing C application sources, with the following results:
INSTALLED APPLICATIONS:
	298 source files
	145,540 source lines
	3 lines containing ??, in comments, unaffected by trigraphs.
APPLICATION UNDER DEVELOPMENT:
	124 source files
	36,393 source lines
	11 lines containing ??, in comments, unaffected by trigraphs.
(Obviously there are more unresolved questions in the code under
development.)  No special care was taken when writing this code to
worry about trigraphs; also, several people contributed to this code.

This supports my claim about lack of code breakage by trigraphs.