X3J11 response to comments

Peter J Desnoyers peter at athena.mit.edu
Fri May 6 06:59:24 AEST 1988

In article <7835 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <5103 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> peter at athena.mit.edu (Peter J Desnoyers) writes:
>>From what I understand, the fee
>>charged isn't bad when you consider that these people send someone to
>>every ANSI meeting, and are supposed to keep track of all the changes
>>pencilled in in the course of the meeting.
>
>What in the world are you talking about?  The only person who necessarily
>keeps track of every change is the Redactor, who like the rest of us is a
>volunteer.  The document that Global Engineering eventually sells is just
>a copy of the draft provided by the Redactor.

Poor wording on my part. If Global wants to sell an accurate copy of a
contribution, they have to keep track of the changes made in
committee, the same way everyone else going to the meeting does. The
draft standard is a bad example, because that is compiled by the
redactor. More work is involved in keeping track of contributions than
drafts, as many contributions may be reworded in committee, and I
don't think anyone in ANSI is responsible for keeping track of the
final versions. It's their effect on the draft that the redactor
records.

>Certainly X3J11 does not
>receive any income from the sale of documents by Global Engineering; the
>cost of attending meetings, reproduction and mailing, etc. is borne by the
>individual Committee members and the organizations they represent.

I know. I had to put up a few hundred dollars (later reimbursed by the
company) for copying one Saturday night. (flight leaving Sunday - of
course I didn't have the contributions done by Thursday for the
company to copy)

				Peter Desnoyers
				peter at athena.mit.edu