Help me cast this!: Ultrix 2.x bug

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri May 6 14:20:52 AEST 1988

In article <386 at m3.mfci.UUCP> root at mfci.UUCP (SuperUser) writes:
-... "type (*)[...]" and "type **" are clearly incompatible types....
-However, pcc compilers [without Guy Harris's fix, or equivalent]
-don't give a warning, and I was once told that Dennis Ritchie considers
-it to be perfectly legal C.

Told by whom?

-So even though I consider it to be brain damaged to treat * and []
-as equivalent other than at the top level, I am currently under the
-impression that this is standard K&R C.

I think not.  It is certainly not true in dpANS C.