line buffering

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu May 19 00:42:04 AEST 1988

In article <700 at mcrware.UUCP> jejones at mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
>What I'm wondering about is this: does that last clause mean that whenever
>someone does input on *any* line buffered or unbuffered stream, a conforming
>implementation should flush buffers on *all* line buffered streams?

Yes.  (By the way, note that the proposed Standard deals only with a single
program; it does not imply that other processes in a multitasking environment
are affected!)

>... the last clause is the only one that explicitly says "any...stream."

It's intentional.

>(Somewhere I have a Stuart Chase book that quotes a city council session
>in which the council members thrashed out the precise wording of a leash law.

"Dogs shall be kept on leashes while in the park." etc.
You can find this somewhere in Newman's "The World of Mathematics".