How do I get printf to move to a tab position?

John W. Fawcett jwf0978 at tahoma.UUCP
Wed May 18 08:29:53 AEST 1988

I have what may actually be a simple question, but I could not find an
answer in my K & R.  I would like to be able to tab over to a certain
position on a line and place some text there without overwriting text that
was already on the line, similar to the "X" format descriptor in FORTRAN.
The closest I can come so far is to use a "%20s", but this overwrites
whatever was there.  Any help out there?

			    Thanks,

			    John

John W. Fawcett		      Voice: (206) 237-2564
Boeing Commercial Airplanes   UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!jwf0978
P.O. Box 3707, M/S 66-04
Seattle, WA  98124-2207