trigraphs in X3J11

mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun May 22 02:40:00 AEST 1988

The solution to the trigraph botch is simple: have compiler vendors
make it optional. Provide an option in the "install" program for the
compiler to turn it only only if the user wants it. Otherwise, don't
do it. I don't see why it is necessary, anyway. The character set of
ANSI C is presumably the ANSI  character set ( Oh! can you say EBCDIC?
Not if you don't want to throw up on your keyboard! Besides, EBCDIC has
plenty of characters.) If someone wants to use a non-standard set, let them
find appropriate characters. I don't care if it is in the standard, so
long as it doesn't appear in my compiler.

Doug McDonald