Help me cast this!

Larry Miller lmiller at venera.isi.edu
Thu May 5 02:32:00 AEST 1988

In article <294 at fedeva.UUCP> wrd3156 at fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) writes:

>How do I cast the malloc() in line 12 of the following program to avoid
>the lint cries of "warning: illegal pointer combination" et al?
>
>main()
>{
>	char *malloc();
>	int i;
>	struct outfile {
>		int j;
>		int k;
>	} (*output)[];
>
>	output = malloc(sizeof(struct outfile) * 3);

Probably seen 100s of these by now, but here goes:

% cdecl
cast malloc into  pointer to array of struct outfile
Warning: Unsupported in C -- Pointer to array of unspecified dimension
(struct outfile (*)[])malloc(sizeof(struct outfile) * 3);

NOTE the warning!!
And note that the cast is almost the same as the definition of output, only
the name is removed.

Larry Miller				lmiller at venera.isi.edu (no uucp)
USC/ISI					213-822-1511
4676 Admiralty Way