Variable argument lists.

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Mon May 16 21:37:31 AEST 1988

In article <504 at sas.UUCP> bts at sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
>In article <14139 at brl-adm.ARPA> bates%falcon.dnet%fermat at bru.mayo.edu (Cary Bates) asks:

[ why can't functions with variable numbers of arguments determine the
  number of arguments they were called with? ]

>Because it is not possible to do so on many architectures, including lots of
>Unices.

could someone please present an example of an architecture were this
CAN'T be done?  and does anyone actually have timings for a system where
this has been done versus not to support the claim that doing this is
very expensive?

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "You see, I want a lot. Perhaps I want every
River Parishes Programming       | -thing.  The darkness that comes with every