trigraphs in X3J11

Joe Beckenbach beckenba at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Sat May 21 13:49:34 AEST 1988

---

	I'm not sure how nit-picky a detail this is, but the impression I've
gotten from the trigraph postings of late is that the compiler would rather
not deal with it.
	Isn't that what a preprocessor is for?
	(Or is the preprocessor considered part of the compiler?)

	For C code using trigraphs, I assume that judicious use of spacing
will ease matters, eg
	{int garbage[MAX];}
goes to
	??<  int garbage??( MAX ??) ; ??>
much more legibly than a direct substitution without spacing
	??<int garbage??(MAX??);??>
Of course trigraphs mean more characters in a source file. But spaces and
\n's are cheap, or at least were until the compiler broke. :-)

	BTW, I had to program on an old IBM4381 workstation in Pascal. There
was no way to get the curly braces AT ALL from the keyboard; the language
support kludge was a trigraph sequence. It worked, but it was hard to spot
the comments for a while. The machine could display the curly braces, but
the machine couldn't generate them from any of the input devices! [Bad
design in action. :-( ]

--
Joe Beckenbach	beckenba at csvax.caltech.edu	Caltech 1-58, Pasadena CA 91125
Graduating in June, knowing that C ain't bad, tools exist and are useful,