Optimization (was Re: volatile)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Thu May 5 16:09:19 AEST 1988

In article <1025 at micomvax.UUCP>, ray at micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
< In article <2758 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
< >The sentiment behind this [deleted] rhetorical question is precisely
< >why it is dangerous that ANSI-conformant compilers will silently ignore
< >unrecognized #pragmas.
<
< What?  Huh?  I had almost fallen asleep hitting ^N, then this appeared!
<
< Dangerous indeed.  Could this in fact not become the portability nightmare
< of the future, and is this perhaps something that we should try to nip in
< the bud as quickly as possible?

Sorry, no more buds will be nipped unless X3J11 decides to go
one more round with us ha ha ha ha :-).

Actually, I would imagine that most compilers would give some kind
of switch that turns on or turns off unreported #pragma warnings.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com    {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl   attmail!vsi!friedl