GROK THIS!!

Victor @ The Concrete Museum bv3456 at leah.albany.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:57:25 AEST 1988

In <191 at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>:
> I have been using C for quite a while, and after doing
> some admin work on our new Suns, I thought I might be
> getting close to minor wizard status.  Then when
> installing the rn news reading software- a script said
> it was trying to discover if my compiler "groks the void
> type."  I have no idea what this means.  This being a decent
> computer, I'm not sure if my compiler should be doing any
> sort of groking to any type :-)
>
> Could anyone explain what a GROK is?  (Some acronym?)

If I remember correctly, R.A. Heinlein wrote a book in the early 60's called
'A Stranger in a Strange Land', which became sort of a cult hit. In the main
character's language, to "grok" roughly meant to "understand".  Apologies if
I'm way off, but I think that's where I saw 'grok'.

***
"Mr. Spock, you'd make an excellent computer."
"Why Captain, that is most kind of you!"