Run-time Checks for C

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Nov 20 07:43:46 AEST 1988

In article <10113 at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> raghavan at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Vijay Raghavan) writes:
>the C language definition doesn't really preclude any implementation from
>doing certain run-time checks (for array bounds, type checking, referring
>contents of uninitialized pointer variables &c), it's just that most
>(okay, all!) implementations don't do any such checking because of efficiency
>reasons. Now I'm not sure that this statement is really true...

It's true; there is at least one debugging-oriented implementation of C
which does full pointer checking (which includes array-bounds checking), for
example.  The efficiency hit is high, unfortunately.
--
Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu