Matrices

Doug Lea dl at rocky.oswego.edu
Wed Nov 2 08:43:24 AEST 1988

It is true that a matrix package is planned for libg++. It is
also true that the guiding principle will be to allow the
use of stuff from the `Numerical Recipes' text for most of
the `interesting' algorithms, although the goal will be something
that allows easy translation of the algorithms, not the code!

While putting together a Matrix class looks straightforward, anyone
who has contemplated how to put together a set of Matrix classes that
support (1) C-like efficiency where it counts (2) a wide range of
Matrix types and representations (like tridiagonal, and delay
Matrices), (3) use of sensible Matrix constructs, and (4) a
natural, yet object-oriented programming style will appreciate the
fact that I and several other people with whom I have talked,
corresponded, and worked have already thrown out dozens of designs. A
few other designs are being pursued. January is optimistic but
possible. If you are interested in joining the fun, email to
me directly.

-Doug

Doug Lea, Computer Science Dept., SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, 13126 (315)341-2367
email: dl at rocky.oswego.edu        or dl%rocky.oswego.edu at nisc.nyser.net
UUCP :...cornell!devvax!oswego!dl or ...rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!dl