Assembly or ....

Jeffrey L. Kellem composer at bucsb.UUCP
Mon Nov 28 07:26:52 AEST 1988

In article <1961 at crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> orr at cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Fraser Orr) writes:
>I don't agree that there is ever any necessity to code in assembler. We
>have languages that produce code just as good as hand crafted assembler
>(such as C), so why not use them for this sort of thing.
>
>==Fraser Orr ( Dept C.S., Univ. Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK)

Except, of course, in the case of real-time programming, where
speed/efficiency is of greatest importance (after correctness); as in
some robotics development and data sampling.  Now, though optimizing
compilers are becoming more common, we still don't have one that can
produce all possible optimizations.

Jeff Kellem
INTERNET: composer%bucsb.bu.edu at bu-it.bu.edu  (or @bu-cs.bu.edu)
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!composer
Disclaimer: My opinions are someone's...hopefully mine...  :)