Universal Disassemblers vs. Universal MIILs

Bill Stewart, usually wcs at alice.UUCP
Fri Nov 4 04:56:15 AEST 1988

In article <6152 at june.cs.washington.edu> pardo at cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
:I think the nub of the matter is that it makes disassembly more
:*useful*, not any easier.
:I claim that I can distribute C code to my programs and it is
:completely useless.  I gave an example of this quite a while back.
:I need to do things such as:
:* Rename all variables.
:* Strip out all comments.
:* Avoid standard libraries.
:* Do code motion.
:[.......]
:Essentially, preform all the optimizations that I can on the C source,
:and  steal liberally from the Obfusacted C Code Contest.  Consider the

There was once a consultant at a large telecommunications company who
was required to provide source for the products he developed.  In
addition to preprocessing the source, he ran it through the C
equivalent of a "jive" filter: all the variable names were combinations
of capital O, lower-case L, and 0 and 1.  Useless!
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, att!ho95c!wcs, AT&T Bell Labs Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705