"for" loops in C ...

David S. Bakin dsb at Rational.COM
Fri Nov 11 09:07:15 AEST 1988

Well I've read several responses to my innocent and IMHO reasonable
"assertion" that C's << operator was a left shift.  All pointed out
that it is a machine-dependent left shift and deliberately so in the
name of efficiency.

This means two things to me.  First, I have to reread the C manuals
I have verrry carefully.  And second, my original opinion was right:
C is no more than an assembly language with extra whitespace and
slower language translators.  :-)

-- Dave