lint warning messages with malloc()

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Fri Nov 4 03:29:17 AEST 1988

>I assume that lint is complaining not about the pointer returned from
>malloc(), but instead, about the alignment of the *z pointer which is
>a member of the structure.

Incorrect assumption.  "lint" doesn't know "malloc()" from a hole in the
ground; it has no idea that it returns maximally-aligned pointers.  This
might be considered a deficiency in "lint".

There is nothing wrong with the alignment of the "*z pointer".  Do not
adjust your set.

As one version of the "lint" manual page said, under the BUGS section,
"There are some things you just *can't* get 'lint' to shut up about."