Passing types to a subroutine

Stephen J. Roznowski sjr at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 11:26:15 AEST 1988

I'm in the process of developing a piece of code that needs
to be portable across several different machines.  What I
need to do is something of the following:

main()
{

	float	a[100];

	subroutine(...., a[100], ...);
	}

AND

main()
{

	double	a[100];

	subroutine(...., a[100], ...);
	}

and have the subroutine do the right thing with a[].
Eventually, the subroutine needs to so something like:

subroutine(....,array,....)

[???]	*array;
{
	unsign int	i;
	int		scale;
	float		bias;

	array[20] = (cast ???) i * scale + bias;

	}

How do you pass the knowledge of the array type to the
subroutine?  I need to be able to pass the knowledge
that the array a[] is either float or double (or for
that matter unsign int).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen J. Roznowski                 sjr at mimsy.umd.edu
Stephen J. Roznowski                 sjr at mimsy.umd.edu