64 bit ints

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 08:42:49 AEST 1988

In article <8811 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <418 at sdrc.UUCP> scjones at sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones [me]) writes:
> >The draft ANSI standard requires that int
> >be the same size as either short or long; it may not be a third,
> >distinct, size of integer.
>
> Where do you see that?  Section 3.1.2.5 requires that an int be able to
> hold all integers in the range INT_MIN to INT_MAX and that its range
> be no less than that of short int and no more than that of long int.
> Nowhere do I find a requirement that
> sizeof(int)==sizeof(short)||sizeof(int)==sizeof(long).

Well, shucks.  I swear I remember a vote to that effect, but I'll
be darned if I can find any trace of the requirement in the
Draft either.  Either I imagined it or it got lost somewhere --
the first seems most likely, I'm afraid.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at sdrc.uucp
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"Save the Quayles" - Mark Russell