Assembly or ....

David Keppel pardo at june.cs.washington.edu
Wed Nov 30 04:19:21 AEST 1988

cjosta at taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
>The 32000 series has a DEI (Divide Extended Integer) instruction that
>also does this.

The rather obscure but still-available VAX series of computers made by
a small Nashua, New Hampshire company (Digital Equipment Corporation)
introduced the EDIV instruction recently, about 1978.  I heard a rumor
that (at least in some early/small VAXen) it was faster to do two
separate instructions than to use EDIV, although I suspect that this
was an artifact of those implementations.

Followups to comp.arch.

	;-D on  ( Now how about that `editpc' opcode? )  Pardo
		    pardo at cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo