Assembly or ....

Peter Desnoyers desnoyer at Apple.COM
Wed Nov 30 03:13:35 AEST 1988

In article <1032 at l.cc.purdue.edu> cik at l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

> For example, suppose we want to
>divide a by b, obtaining an integer result i and a remainder c.  I know
>of no machine with this instruction, and this is not that unusual an
>instruction to demand.

I can't think of a machine that doesn't. The only machine language
manuals on my desk (68000 and HPC16083) show this instruction.
If anyone knows of a machine that doesn't leave the remainder in
a register, I would be interested in knowing of it. Such a machine
either throws the remainder away or uses some algorithm besides
shift-and-subtract. (for instance hard-wired.)

				Peter Desnoyers