Re^2: retiring gets(3)

Frank Swarbrick swarbric at tramp.Colorado.EDU
Sat Nov 26 18:10:27 AEST 1988

In article <1704 at solo9.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
:mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
:\I don't understand how you can get something like
:\    gets(3);
:\past a compiler. Isn't 'gets' supposed to take a char * argument,
:\not an int literal?
:
:You should have crossposted to rec.humor.funny!

I don't see what's so funny about it.  It's a very legitimate question if you
don't have much experience with UNIX.  The only thing I use UNIX for is reading
these messages, and I have no idea what the '3' means, though I do know that
it's not meant as a parameter.

Frank Swarbrick (and, yes, the net.cat)       University Of Colorado, Boulder
swarbric at tramp.Colorado.EDU          ...!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!tramp!swarbric
"Cling to the past and you'll be left behind." --Y & T