Assembly or ....

Richard Childers childers at avsd.UUCP
Sat Nov 26 07:43:55 AEST 1988

In article <1388 at aucs.UUCP> 861087p at aucs.UUCP (A N D R E A S) writes:

>     Since this are Newsgroups that mainly programmers write I
>would like to ask them if it really worth it to spend time to
>learn assembly language.

Yes.

>I know that when you program in assembly you loose the portability but
>you gain in speed.

And power, and control, and precision.

>Device drivers are also written in assemly.

Well, they're sketched in higher level languages, then tweaked on the
assembler code, massaging instructions for maximum throughput.

>So why is everybody against assembly when many programs available are
>written in assembly?

Because every time a new processor comes out, you need to go back to
being a dummy again, and people get tired of it after a few times. Not
everybody, but you're faced with a choice of either studying further
and getting into board design and chip selection ... or saying the hell
with it and going back up to C.

> I hope I'll get some answers from you guys!

<< Baby Bic on >>

I hope you don't get flamed to death by the 'guys'. For one thing, Usenet
is non-sexist, in general. For another, it's considered good manners to post
only to newsgroups strictly related to the topic ... and not to use diversity
as a method of addressing *everybody in the world and their sister*. In this
case, as your material was admittedly miscellaneous, it would have been most
appropriate to post it to comp.misc *only*, and wait a few weeks for messages
to perpetuate across the nation and back.

<< Baby Bic off >>

>The number of the beast is 80386|Andreas Pikoulas

That's funny, I thought it was SVR3 ...  (-:

-- richard

--
 *                Any excuse will serve a tyrant.      -- Aesop               *