Assembly or ....

Frank Wales frank at zen.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 20:15:05 AEST 1988

In article <1961 at crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> orr at cs.glasgow.ac.uk
(Fraser Orr) writes:
>I don't agree that there is ever any necessity to code in assembler. We
>have languages that produce code just as good as hand crafted assembler
>(such as C), so why not use them for this sort of thing.

Then ...

In article <1988 at crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> orr at cs.glasgow.ac.uk
(Fraser Orr) writes:
>In article <6529 at june.cs.washington.edu> kolding at uw-june.UUCP
>(Eric Koldinger) writes:
>>Ah, but wouldn't that be nice.  Optimizing compilers that could generate
>>code as good as we can generate by hand in all cases.  Let me know when
>>someone writes one.
>
>Ah, but wouldn't it be nice. People that could write code as good
>as optimising compilers can in all cases. Let me know when one is
>born.
>
>Optimisers are good at some things, people are good at others.

Which means that, if you always want good work done, you'd better use
people for some of it.  [Sound of foot being shot in background.]

--
Frank Wales, Software Consultant,    [frank at zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217