Efficient coding considered harmful?

K.LAUX rkl1 at hound.UUCP
Tue Nov 22 03:54:46 AEST 1988

	Steve very eloquently states his observations/conclusions about the
state of the Software Industry.

	I recently read an article pointing out that there have been
tremendous advances made in hardware, but relatively few in software, and
that predicts a woeful shortage of Software Engineers (or whatever you
would like to call them) for the future.

	Case in point:  It is now possible to design IC's from scratch, and
have them in a production run, in about 3 months, from a single workstation.

	So, how many programs are there now that take advantage of all (or
even a lot) of the features of OS/2?  Or VGA.  Or 80386?

	I sure hope that the Software Industry has a break though like the
Hardware Industry soon.  At least I can be sure of steady employment :-) if not.

--rkl