Racism on comp.lang.c (was Re: Variable-length messages.)

Matthew Meighan matt at nbires.nbi.com
Sat Nov 5 09:40:02 AEST 1988

In article <1737 at garth.UUCP> smryan at garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
>to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
>have to pay the consequences.

Oh, come on now!  How is commenting on something "deciding" it?  Surely
anyone in the world has a right to have -- and express -- an opinion on
our "internal affairs".  Your statement implies that no one outside our
borders is supposed to think about anything we do, or if they do, they
should at least keep it to themselves.  This is silly.  As a global
power, not to mention a member of the global community, we DO affect
other countries, and people in other countries certainly do have
opinions about us.  What's wrong with that?

It would seem that our attempts to travel into space would naturally
be of interest to humanity as a whole, not just U.S. citizens.

Also, I wonder if your "don't comment on the internal affairs of other
countries" policy applies to the U.S. as well as to other nations.
Have you never commented on anything the Nicaraguans, or the Libyas,
or the Israelis, or the Iranians, (or etc...) did?  Do you oppose our
military intervention in Nicaragua, El Salvador, etc?  Did you oppose our
invasion of Grenada, our bombing of Libya, our earlier active support
of Marcos and our present support of Aquino, etc., etc?  If not, then
you are applying a far different standard to the U.S. than to other
countries -- all of those actions (and thousands more) are examples of
the U.S. heavily influencing, if not "deciding", the internal affairs
of other countries -- and all our friend from Cananda did was comment
upon ours.

---------
Matt Meighan
matt at nbires.nbi.com (nbires\!matt)