Programming and international character sets.

Robert Claeson robert at pvab.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 19:02:46 AEST 1988

In article <8804 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:

> In article <532 at krafla.rhi.hi.is> kjartan at rhi.hi.is (Kjartan R. Gudmundsson) writes:

> >How difficult is it convert american/english programs so that they can
> >be used to handle foreign text? [etc.]

> Where have you been the last few years?  This subject area is known as
> "internationalization" and has been the featured topic of special issues
> of several journals, including UNIX Review and UNIX/World.

The fact is, internationalization hasn't showed up in any product I know
of (except for HP's NLS, but few uses it). People are still just *talking*
about internationalization, but not *doing* it.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 758-202 50   Fax: +46 758-197 20
EUnet: rclaeson at erbe.se   ARPAnet: rclaeson%erbe.se at uunet.uu.net