Efficiency AND Readability

David Collier-Brown daveb at geaclib.UUCP
Sun Nov 13 13:22:35 AEST 1988

>From article <8839 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ):
> In article <3386 at geaclib.UUCP> daveb at geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>>  A good counter-example to the claim that efficient code is
>>unreadable (and also the claim that its non-portable) exists in the
>>TeX typesetting implementation.
[lots deleted]

> We should probably limit the code readability discussion to code
> as it is prepared for a standard compiler, not a version requiring
> preprocessing with some additional tool.

  It was a counter-example, not a sugestion that everyone go out and
wriet a WEB (as I once did). In fact, the idea is usefull but the
first try had some problems (:-)).

--dave (If you didn't like Knuth's, you'd **hate** mine) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |