Assembly or ....ok

Paul James Coene Drool at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 30 11:58:46 AEST 1988

In article <1961 at crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> orr at cs.glasgow.ac.uk
(Fraser Orr) writes:
>In article <729 at convex.UUCP> dodson at mozart.UUCP (Dave Dodson) writes:
>>I believe it is important to learn assembly language for some computer
>>because that is how you learn how computers _really_ work.  This knowledge
>>can help you program better in any language.

I tend to agree wholeheartedly with Fraser on this one.  Have you ever tried
to help someone who has only a base knowledge of HLLs under his belt, when
they are trying to debug a debug a C program?  Concepts such as the stack,
what a core dump is, even explaining pointers is tough when the basics gained
from exposure to assembler is lacking.  I certainly don't profess to be an
assembler wizard, but having some basics behind me has been invaluable.

---- Has anyone seen my staff? - Drool Rockworm ---