Delay for a fraction of a second in C

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Nov 4 04:33:24 AEST 1988

In article <1145 at orion.cf.uci.edu> echarne at orion.cf.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) writes:
>The Unix sleep command will only go in increments of one second.  I was
>wondering if someone new of a nice little routine I could use, or has
>written one that will let me pause (in the Unix operating system) for
>a fraction of a second.  If it could go to 100th of a second, that would
>be great!

You are basically out of luck.  There is no standard, portable way of
doing this.  Some Unix systems provide a primitive, sometimes named
"nap", for doing it; some don't.  Even those that do provide it tend to
disagree on what units it works in.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu