Managing C/C++ Libraries: Dependencies

Dave Brower daveb at llama.rtech.UUCP
Tue Nov 15 08:00:56 AEST 1988

In article <3414 at geaclib.UUCP> geaclib!lethe!dave writes:
>>>#include_once "classname.h"

>From article <8387 at nlm-mcs.arpa>, by mjr at vax2.nlm.nih.gov.nlm.nih.gov (Marcus J. Ranum):
>> 	I wonder how much code would break is such an extension were added,
>> and the #include_once were made the DEFAULT rather than the exception ?
>
> Ok, people! Would this change, made silently, injure correct
>programs?  It is admitted that it may allow incorrect programs to
>compile, but that isn't waht I'm concerned about.
>  Specifically, what about include trees which cannot be tsorted?

Well, it will certainly break this year's Obfuscated C contest winner,
which calulated prime numbers in the preprocessor with use of multiple
inclusion and defined/undefed state variables.  Some might say it is
not a "proper" program, but it falls within the letter of the existing
and proposed laws.

-dB
"You have to run twice as fast to get anywhere" - Ben Johnson.
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb at rtech.com