handling long externs with a post-processor

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Mon Oct 3 23:24:09 AEST 1988

In article <4162 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> But we can still handle this situation.  The post-processor
> can be run once each time the system libraries are updated, to scan
> them and make a master list of all symbols in these libraries.  Then,
> each time the user's object modules are processed, the post-processor
> avoids using symbols that are already in this master list.

What about local libraries written in something other than 'C'.

You can still do it with a local format. Here's how.

Compile 'C' modules into local-format objects. These objects have long-name
externals.

Link these modules together into a global-format object. Any unsatisfied
long names at this point are an error. You may have to include the 'C'
runtime library here to allow for sprintf and strrchr.

Link these modules with your Fortran and PL/I modules.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter at ficc.uu.net