How big is the argv[] array?

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.JUNET
Tue Oct 11 11:07:02 AEST 1988

In article <660020 at hpclscu.HP.COM>, shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) writes:
>   argv = (char **) realloc (argv, newsize * sizeof (char *))
>      /* newsize is the size of your expanded argv array */

What does realloc do when its first argument is a pointer to storage
that was not obtained by malloc?  Maybe you won't crash until your
program exits and the shell reads the next command line?
  The above opinions are my own.   |   Norman Diamond
  If they're also your opinions,   |   Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.
  you're infringing my copyright.  |   diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net