books based on draft-proposed ANSI C

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Mon Oct 10 21:42:38 AEST 1988

In article <205 at obie.UUCP> wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <6773 at dasys1.UUCP>, tneff at dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>> The Harbison & Steele 2nd edition has been out for six months or so

       More like a little over a year.

>The second edition of Kernighan and Ritchie, "The C Programming
>Language" has been out for about the same amount of time.

       It only came out a few months ago.

        But that is besides the point.  Besides possessing those two gems
(as well as the first editions of them) I also obtained Tom Plum's "Notes
on The Draft C Standard", which was published in 1987 either at the same
time as H&S or prior to it.  I wrote to the folks at Plum Hall about my
concern of the standard changing and invalidating the book.  They promptly
sent me three pages of revisions and changes per the January 1988 Draft
of X3J11.  Perhaps the other publishers will do the same?

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207