Debugging Zortech C++

Eric M. Boehm emb978 at leah.Albany.Edu
Sat Oct 22 00:09:51 AEST 1988

I purchased Zortech C++ a few months ago. One of the reasons I purchased
it (other than object oriented programming) was its "compatibility" with
Codeview. However, a recent attempt at debugging was quite frustrating. I
compiled according to the manual "ztc -g -co file.c" and made sure the
linker was Microsoft. When I tried to watch a variable I got "unknown
symbol". I recompiled with quickc and had no problem. On comparing the
map files, the quickc map file had $$SYMBOLS in the symbol table. Zortech
did not.

It appears that using Zortech will allow you to display source code and step
through it. The only way to watch variables would be to watch the addresses.
You would need to go to assembly language mode (or mixed mode) to find the
variable addresses. Hardly symbolic debugging!

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a solution? Is this a bug in
Zortech that they fixed later on? It looks like no provision was made for
watching symbols.