Seconds from 19xx to Date (and visa versa)

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.JUNET
Thu Oct 6 11:47:15 AEST 1988

In article <5522 at hoptoad.uucp>, pozar at hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:

>     Does anyone have a routine to change back and forth between
> seconds from 19xx to a Year, Month, Day sort of Date?

You need more than a routine to do this.  You need a database of when
leap seconds have occurred.  Sometimes on June 30th or December 31st,
the last minute runs from 11:59:00 to 11:59:60 (sixty-one seconds) in
order to compensate for wobbles in the earth's rotation.  These do
not happen as regularly as leap days, so their occurrences cannot be
computed by a a routine; you need a database.

(The dpANSI C standard had the field for seconds redefined to allow a
value of 60 for exactly this reason.  I proposed the same correction
to the committees standardizing Extended Pascal.)
  The above opinions are my own.   |   Norman Diamond
  If they're also your opinions,   |   Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.
  you're infringing my copyright.  |   diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net