Array indexing vs. pointers...

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Oct 9 13:31:34 AEST 1988

In article <8646 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>As Knuth once said, approximately, "in no other branch of engineering is an
>>easily-obtained 10% improvement in performance viewed with scorn".
>
>That isn't even a correct obervation, let alone relevant.

While I'm not really in Knuth's camp on this general issue, I think I must
defend his comment.  There really are people -- too many of them -- who
consider a 10% performance improvement to be so insignificant that it's
not a valid argument in a debate.  These are generally people who have
never done performance-critical programming.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu