input ready under UNIX ??!!??

Rich Bono rbono at necis.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 23:24:02 AEST 1988

HELP!!  how can one (if at all) find out (non-destructivly) if there is
any input waiting to be read from stdin???   With the Microsoft-C libraries
I can use the kbhit() function which returns TRUE if there are any characters
waiting to be input.  Clearing ICANON with a ioctl() for stdin does NOT do
what I want.....

here is a sample code concept that shows what I am trying to do:

	for(;;)
	{
		if(kbhit())
		{
			fgets(buffer, BUFSIZE, stdin);
			HandleInput(buffer);
		}
		else
		{
			/* do this */
		}

	}

	I have several programs that make use of this call that I would
like to port to UNIX without redesigning.

Please EMAIL me with any soloutions.....

                                      Thanks,   Rich