Disassembling was Re: Machine-independent intermediate languages

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sun Oct 16 10:44:04 AEST 1988

In article <7226 at ihlpl.ATT.COM>, knudsen at ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
> ... Tandy Radio Shack software usually includes in
> the copyright notice "customer is explicitly forbidden to disassemble
> the software." ...
>
> There is a question of "fair use" here, since sometimes you have
> to hack and patch a program to make it useful on your system.

Be careful here.  Most software is protected by license agreements
that are substantially more restrictive than mere copyright.  If
you buy software and agree to the terms, and if the terms say "no
disassembly", then you aren't allowed to do it.

I know that license agreements are subject to interpretation, but
"fair use" is not likely to apply much to software except for
backup purposes.

Note: (friedl != attorney) && (friedl == thankful)

Follups to comp.misc

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl