MSC multiple-definition bug or feature?

Gertjan van Oosten oosten at dutinfd.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 21:02:58 AEST 1988

In article <6215 at bunny.UUCP>, rhb6 at bunny.UUCP (Robert H. Barkan) writes:

> In MSC 5.x, compile the following 2 files, then link x1.obj and y1.obj.
> The linker should complain because "int x" is multiply defined:

Then follows a description of some source, etc. leading to the exposure
of a linker bug.

I have another one for you:

In one C file, I had the following (external) declaration:
static int x;

In another C file, I had:
extern int x;

Compilation and linkage produced no "Unresolved external" message!!!!!
How nice of Microsoft....

I also tried this on four other machines. Here come the results, fasten
seatbelts and refrain from smoking:
A 3B1 running System V version 3.5:
      No linker error message; however, lint complains about "Used but not
      defined".
A Microdutch running System V Release 2 X/OPEN:
      No linker error message; however, lint complains about "Used but not
      defined".
A VAX running 4.3 BSD:
      Linker produces error message; lint complains.
A PDP-11/73 running ULTRIX-11:
      !!!Linker produces error message; lint DOESN'T complain!!!

So only 4.3 BSD functions correctly; that's ONE out of FIVE!!!
Enough said...

		  G. J. van Oosten

"When you come to me
 I'll question myself again
 Is this grip of life still my own?" - David Sylvian